Monday, January 24, 2011

A History of Reading

One point I found interesting and somewhat familiar (in a strange way) in Alberto Manguel’s A History of Reading is found a conversation between Augustine and Francesco: “Whenever you read a book and come across any wonderful phrases which you feel stir or delight your soul, don’t merely trust the power of your own intelligence, but force yourself to learn them by heart and make them familiar by meditating on them, so that whenever an urgent case of affliction arises, you’ll have the remedy ready as if it were written in your mind” (pg.63).   As an avid reader, I have experienced this phenomenon first hand, but was left to think that I was just “different” or “nerdy” from meditating and personally absorbing the text in front of me.  I feel that my personality, outlooks, and a good portion of my beliefs have been heavily influenced by the books I have read.  I just sort of accepted the fact that I was different as I watched my peers turn into mush in front of the television watching reality shows.  I often times find myself remembering specific texts or images from books I have read on a daily basis.  May it be inspired from a walk in the park to a conversation I have with a friend.  If I have the audacity to quote the passage on my mind or talk about the déjà vu I am experiencing at that moment, most of my peers would say something along the lines of, “Wow, you’re weird.” I guess this passage has not only reassured me that I am not a total freak, but that it is indeed healthy to take more than just a good story from a book.

4 comments:

  1. I think your comment about the phenomenon being "healthy" is interesting. It certainly is good for you mentally to make those connections because it shows you understand both the written words and the meaning and images they can create when put together. In the book, a Professor Lecours says that "the process of reading entailed at least two stages: 'seeing' the word, and 'considering' it according to learned information" and that is exactly the process you are describing. So maybe after all is said and done, when your friend tell you that you're weird you can respond with, "you can't read."

    In those instances in which you say you feel déjà vu, it even seems like you are "considering" well after the fact. That may change the way you read that passage or book the next time you pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chelsea! I agree with your point of reading being healthy for you. I think that reading not only expands your mind and your imagination, but it also expands you as a person. I feel that someone who reads a variety of books, on a regular basis, is so much more versed on world than a person who sits and watches Jersey Shore all day! (I apologize to anyone who likes that show...) However, I think that it broadens your horizons. As we discussed in class last week, people who read are often more acceptable of diversity because they have often already faced it in the books they have read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Chelsea, my dear, it is ever a pleasure to read your writing.
    I think your feelings of being 'different' or 'weird' only to find a sense of belonging as a reader highlights Manguel's point that all readers, authors, usw. are connected through books. Being transformed by what we read is indeed healthy, just as it is healthy to be influenced by those friends we hold most dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In reading this it brought to mind some regrets that I have about reading great pieces of literature and not remembering certain points that really stood out for me. I have never been one to have a good memory and though I tried hard to remember certain passages they would be forgotten over time. After reading this it has brought me to the realization that I miss those words I wanted to keep. From this moment forward my goal will be not merely to memorize, but to keep a journal and write it down so I can always go back to it again.

    ReplyDelete