Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Caleb Crain Response

I have always been a firm believer in the idea that technology will slowly take over the human race. As bizarre and paranoid as this may sound, I believe that our electronic babysitters (televisions, computers, video games. ect) are creating an entirely different type of child for the twenty first century.  These high-tech toys may be inhibiting today’s youth to imagine or think critically; two necessary skills needed to actually enjoy reading literature!  Since maybe these two skills are being stunted by today’s technological toys, not only do children find reading boring, but perhaps they also are not 100% capable of enjoying their time in front of a book.  Again, I know this just may sound like a paranoid rant from someone with “techno-phobia”, but the article also has some staggering statistics to back it up.

4 comments:

  1. I think what you say about technology inhibiting children's ability to imagine is an interesting one. When they play video games or watch T.V., all of the imagining is done for them. There is nothing more to think about than what they can see in front of them. Compared to having everything given to you visually, a book does not seem as desirable and that is definitely affecting children today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can agree there are, as you put it, staggering statistics in the article, I can't quite agree that technology will ever completely replace reading in the form of hard copy books, magazines, and newspapers. History repeatedly shows that generations tend to go against their immediate predecessors (just look at the movements in literature, which ping-pong back and forth in what they hold to be important). I think, maybe, the very things driving out reading will bring it back simply because reading will be 'different' or 'exotic'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chelsea, not paranoid but well founded opinion. On the way to class today I saw a billboard for a Georgia hospital promoting its robotic surgeon has performed the most surgeries in the state. It made me think of the loss of the art of surgery and these doctors will have to program and monitor a robot. Technology is inhibiting our growth as we give over our intelligence to it. I know this isn't about literature, but it really freaked me out this morning and is along the same lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chelsea, I don't think that you're paranoid in the least little bit! My boyfriend has a 4-year-old daughter and she amazingly is able to operate my iPhone (without any coaching from me)! I think that a trend toward technology and all things "fantastic" in nature is certainly steering the younger generation away from reading. I think when they have 3D movies that create these fantastic worlds for them, then why would they want to use their own imagination to create their own worlds? Just some food for thought...

    ReplyDelete