Sunday, January 30, 2011

George Orwell response

As I read George Orwell’s “Politics and The English Language”, I could honestly feel the annoyance and sick of it all attitude Orwell conveyed through his writing.  Although I agree with Orwell that political writing is as a whole “bad” writing, I believe it was intended to be that way. After all, have you ever seen an award or honor given to a presidential speech or amendment?   Political writing has one purpose only: to persuade the listener or reader into agreeing with an idea. 
As a whole, I could agree with Orwell on most of what he had to say except for his ideas on foreign language words and phrases used in the English language.
 Orwell states that “Foreign words and expressions such as cul de sac, ancien regime, deus ex machina, mutatis mutandis, status quo, gleichschaltung, weltanschauung, are used to give an air of culture and elegance. Except for the useful abbreviations i.e., e.g., and etc., there is no real need for any of the hundreds of foreign phrases now current in the English language”.  I agree with the first part of Orwell’s statement.  Using words or phrases from other language can give a politician a sense of prestige or cultural knowledge, which I as a voting citizen, do appreciate when I dabble into politics.  However, I totally disagree with the second part of this bold statement.   As a foreign language minor, cannot help but disagree with his idea that foreign words and phrases are pointless in the English language.  I cannot accept the idea that I am restricted to one language because I am a native English speaker.  I believe that some languages can communicate an idea better than the English language ever could. The German language has words for concepts that English does not.  For example, the German word “schadenfreude” means to take pleasure in the misfortunes of others.  Orwell then goes on to discuss the questions that a “good” writer asks himself while constructing an idea.  One of them is “Could I put this more shortly?”  Sometimes, our trusty English language cannot communicate an idea in fewer words than a foreign word. 
Again, I feel that I could agree with Orwell overall, but I cannot share the same burning annoyance he has with political writing.  I believe that political writing is not something that you read or listen to for fun on a rainy day.  It is created to sometimes be melodramatic and outrageous.  Certain words and phrases are used because the target audience is an average, working class citizen and not an English major.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea ~ I had to disagree with Orwell on the foriegn language as well. I cannot say that I've had the displeasure of being in the company of pompous individuals who like to toss around foriegn phrases to impress their listeners, but I'm sure it would not be well with me. As far as Orwell taking offense to the use of Latin and Greek I had one thought going through my head, isn't that where OUR language originated from?!? These languages are our root and I don't find them annoying. Nor do I find ANY foriegn words annoying. I was really surprised with him for ranting about it and felt that he was a bit pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some people forget English is a creole. To be perfectly honest, I didn't know to someone told me last week. I thought Creole was something you speak in Haiti or eat in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. English is a Germanic language first spoken by Anglo-Saxons in Europe. But Chelsea, I like your point about political writing being melodramatic at times. Language is a powerful tool, and when used in a particular way, politician can incite their people to believe and be outraged by what they are saying. They don't want to say "this is what is happening and this is what we're going to do about it," they want to make you mad - or scared - enough to go along with it wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete