Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pygmalion Response 2

As I stated before in my last blog post, I had never read the play or seen any sort of on-screen adaptation.  With this being said, Act 5 of Pygmalion left me feeling strangely empowered and relieved that the whole drama did not end with the atypical, easily digestible, romantic Hollywood scene involving Eliza and Henry.  I actually found their entire argument to be my favorite part of the entire play.  One of my new favorite lines comes from when Eliza makes an impressively blunt observation of what I have been thinking about Henry throughout most of the play: “You find me cold, unfeeling, selfish, don’t you? Very well: be off with you to the sort of people you like.  Marry some sentimental hog or other with lots of money, and a thick pair of lips to kiss you with and a thick pair of boots to kick you with. If you cant appreciate what you’ve got, youd better get what you can appreciate” (Shaw 103).  Perhaps I just enjoy literature that empowers me to yell at brutish men and burn my bras, or maybe I just feel like I have had a similar rant to an ex-boyfriend.  For whatever reason as to why I enjoy this act, I feel that Shaw certainly made himself immortal through not the overall idea of the play, but the very last act.  Because I know some of us are tired of the same old happy ending nonsense.

3 comments:

  1. I also found the argument between Higgins and Liza to be my favorite part of the second half of the play. Their arguments explore some interesting age old questions concerning love that the sequel elaborates upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I thought Eliza and Higgins would end up being together, I am actually glad that I was wrong. I also get tired of the same old fairy tale ending. Shaw’s ending brought an element of feminism to his play. Whereas in the myth Galatea comes to life and just ends up being with Pygmalion, Eliza doesn’t follow the same footsteps. Rather, she embarks on her own path, showing that she has a mind of her own and won’t just accept what’s given to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I suppose happy endings aren't realistic for real life tends to suck. However, some people read for the specific purpose of imagining a better world and I think that's where the happy endings come in.

    ReplyDelete