Saturday, February 26, 2011

Feminist Response- Wuthering Heights

One aspect I found interesting in Lyn Pykett’s essay is the idea of feminine “strategies” (stealth and indirection).  Although at first the closet fem-Nazi in me was somewhat angered and disagreed with this statement, after a while of pondering and a quick observation of my own behavior, I could not disagree.  Women tend to go about handling conflict or extreme negative emotion with sneaky ideas and in my opinion, are better are ruining things from the inside-out—rather than inside-in like men. 
Pykett discuss how both Catherine and Cathy use these strategies and the point I find the most interesting is her brief discussion of how Cathy uses them to rekindle Hareton’s interest in literature.  Cathy uses these tactics to not only gain control over her own life, but in teaching a man, she establishes control over him.  As a teacher, she has something over Hateton.  Although it is not made clear in the novel, I would think that Hearton would look up to Cathy.  Perhaps it is not made clear because the character of Hearton is too ashamed to say that a woman is better at something than he is.  It would hurt his already battered ego (thanks to Heathcliff) more and would cause him great emotional pain I may be delving too deeply into this thought, but if his character was more deeply discussed in the novel, maybe I could make a better assumption.

3 comments:

  1. I feel as though Pykett spent a lot more time illustrating the juxtaposition between Catherine and Cathy. I feel that Pykett is bringing this up to bring to light Bronte's intention to fulfill, through Cathy, what was left unfulfilled, by Catherine.

    However, I do agree that Cathy uses her knowledge of reading to gain a sense of control/power over Hareton but I don't feel as though it was out of malicious or insidious intent. Pykett does say that Cathy goes against the norm of a young, proper lady and how she conducts herself with Hareton (by mocking him and his efforts of reading).

    I feel that a very interesting point Pykett brought up was the fact that Cathy reconstructed herself and Hareton whereas Catherine did the opposite. She was unable to bring the two sides of herself, Edgar and Heathcliff, together to create a bond and sense of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been interesting had Hareton and young Catherine's characters had been more fully developed to see what became of them. Their relationship did seem like it was on track to be much more healthy than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps, it's in my best interest not to dig a hole I can't climb out of.

    ReplyDelete